Yellow or discolored teeth can be unattractive causing teeth to look prematurely aged, or dirty. Patients with discolored teeth may feel embarrassed of their smile and hide their smile in photos or while laughing. White, bright smiles can help patients feel more confident in professional and personal interactions. Discolored teeth are one of the most common cosmetic concerns and can be treated.
Dr. Carter Perkins is a highly trained and experienced cosmetic dentist in Dunnellon, FL. With over 25 years of experience, Dr. Carter brings his patients high quality, compassionate and personalized dental care. Our dentist office offers a range of tooth whitening treatment options to enhance the beauty of your appearance with a brighter, more youthful looking smile.
Causes of Discolored Teeth
The discoloration of teeth can be caused by a number of factors. Dietary and lifestyle habits, aging, genetics, and injury are all common causes of tooth discoloration.
- Yellow Stained Teeth- Yellow teeth are common as patients age. Yellow teeth occur when tooth enamel wears away either from age, dietary habits, smoking or genetics. As the tooth enamel wears away over time, the yellow dentin layer of the tooth becomes exposed. Yellow teeth typically whiten with the use of professional grade whitening gels. Dr. Perkins offers in office and customized take-home whitening kits to safely and effectively whiten and brighten yellow teeth.
- Dark Spots- Dark or brown spots on the teeth are usually caused by trauma. A trauma or hard impact on the tooth can also cause the dark spot to form. Certain antibiotics and medications may also cause dark spots to form on teeth. Be sure to let Dr. Perkins know if you are on any medications to allow for effective treatment. Dark spots are generally resistant to traditional whitening methods and may require porcelain veneers or dental bonding to cover the discoloration.
- White Spots- Bright white spots are typically caused by the tooth being overexposed to fluoride during the development of the teeth. White spots can sometimes be treated with whitening trays or in office whitening gels. For white spots that cannot be blended into the teeth using bleaching gels, Dr. Perkins offers alternative cosmetic treatment options to even out the appearance of the smile.
Treatment for tooth discoloration will vary depending on the cause and overall health of the patient. Dr. Perkins offers a range of cosmetic dentistry treatments that address tooth discoloration including:
- Teeth Whitening: This is a popular cosmetic dental treatment that can quickly whiten teeth. Dr. Perkins offers both in-office and at-home bleaching options.
- Porcelain Veneers: Teeth veneers offer a more permanent solution to hiding dark or white spots.
- Dental Bonding: Bonding is a more affordable method to hide dark or white spots on your teeth but will need to eventually be touched up.
Areas We Serve
If you feel dissatisfied with your yellow or discolored teeth, contact our Dunnellon, FL dentist office to learn more about which cosmetic treatment can enhance the appearance of your smile. Perkins Dentistry welcomes new and returning patients to our Dunnellon, FL dentist office. We serve both Marion and Citrus Counties, convenient to many local communities including Ocala, The Villages, Belleview and Inverness. To request a dental health exam, contact our dentist office at (352) 440-5827 or click here to request an appointment online.